Thursday, December 21, 2017

Reminiscing on the 90s! Movies


This week on Going Off Topic we are going back to the greatest decade, the 90s. I reached out to a few friends and family members who grew up during that time to cover a few categories: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Athletes, Toys, Stores, Video Games/Board Games and Crushes from the 90s. I gave them the reins to discuss each topic whether that meant things they remember from each category, things they had or loved, things they didn’t have but wish they did. I enlisted a few returning people but most are making their blogging debut. Each day we will be covering a new category with each person’s opinion on that topic. The second category for the Going Off Topic 90s week is movies, comment with what movies you remember and what your favorites were! 

Kyle:
90s movies for me personally were Disney movies, Aladdin, Lion King, Hercules, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan, Toy Story, A Goofy Movie, The Rescuers Down Under just to name a few. These are all movies I would still watch today and will be showing my kids in the future. They are just classics that can’t be denied. It was also a great time for kids sports movies with The Sandlot, Angels in the Outfield, Cool Running’s, The Mighty Ducks, The Big Green, and Air Bud. I remember every one of these movies and can probably recite the lines if you asked me to. Titanic, Forrest Gump, The Matrix, Pulp Fiction, Home Alone, Fight Club, Jurassic Park……what a time to be alive.

Ellen:
Once again, a lot of the 90s movies I watched (and love) were because my sister watched them and liked them and she was my big sister… so I either had no choice in what we watched or I wanted to be her. Clueless. Freaking Clueless. I am loving this movie still to this day! My sister owned the VHS and she watched it quite frequently. Titanic! One of my first crushes, and still is, was Leonardo DiCaprio and it was all because of this movie. Yet again, we had it on VHS. It was actually two VHS tapes because the movie was too damn long to fit on one! Intense shit man, I cry throughout that entire movie because I know pretty much everyone is going to die. *Spoiler* oops! Fight Club was pretty legit too, the books also pretty bad ass. I technically was not yet evicted from my first home when The Silence of the Lambs came out, but I did end up seeing it in the 2000s. Now this movie is my favorite movie ever for so many reasons. Anthony Hopkins is 12 of those reasons. If you haven’t seen this movie you need to stop everything and get this movie and watch it. It is so fucking good. My last movie is Pocahontas. I dreamed of being Pocahontas and would literally sing the songs while acting out the scenes. I was obsessed. This movie was my go to Disney movie for many years and I can still sing every word to every song in that film. If I watched it I could probably still act out some of the scenes. This movie was that important to me!

Shannon:
Disney movies anyone? Just a few weeks ago, I was babysitting my cousins and I was so excited because they wanted to watch Pocahontas on Netflix. That was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and it made me want to have a pet raccoon. Then, I got to thinking about all the other classic 90’s Disney films. Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, the Lion King and Mulan! Talk about some classic Disney movies. I could still watch any of those and laugh and sing along every single time. And who could forget the Goofy Movie?? With those catchy tunes from Powerline!! But Disney wasn’t the only one that was making great movies. Fern Gully, a movie I haven’t seen since the 90’s but always remember that I love, was a classic. Balto is still one of my all time favorite movies. (Kevin Bacon as the lead actor, with Phil Collins as the lovable polar bears? Perfect!) My sister wasn’t even around in the 90s, but her all time favorite movie is the Iron Giant. I remember her watching that movie again and again and again and again... 

Becca:
My childhood revolves around Disney. The Lion King was the first movie that I saw in theaters. Even though I was too young to remember it obviously made an impression because it’s still my favorite to this day! From Disney movies to the Disney channel I’ve probably seen it at least a dozen times! Even though Disney was my favorite growing up with my older brother I got to experience the now classics Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Movies always are a good way to turn back time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website!

The Going Off Topic is moving! The Anything But Credible Network has added the Going Off Topic blog to their network and even gave me my own...