Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Reminiscing on the 90s! Music


This week on Going Off Topic we are going back to the greatest decade, the 90s. I reached out to a few friends and family members who grew up during that time to cover a few categories: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Athletes, Toys, Stores, Video Games/Board Games and Crushes from the 90s. I gave them the reins to discuss each topic whether that meant things they remember from each category, things they had or loved, things they didn’t have but wish they did. I enlisted a few returning people but most are making their blogging debut. Each day we will be covering a new category with each person’s opinion on that topic. We will start with music from the 90s, let’s enjoy reminiscing over the 90s!

Kyle:
Music in the 90s was truly a treat, I find myself going on YouTube and looking up 90s playlists. It was a different time and I think we had a lot more talent in the 90s then we do now. It was also spread out over almost every genre, alternative/punk became massive with Nirvana, Green Day, Soundgarden, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Foo Fighters; Pop had Britney Spears, Hanson, Spice Girls, Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera (who was my first crush…love you still Christina), Backstreet Boys, and Will Smith; Hip-Hop had Snoop Dogg, Biggie, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Naughty by Nature, LL Cool J, Ice Cube, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, and Wu-Tang Clan; Country had Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Toby Keith. It was an incredible time for music and most of it I didn’t truly enjoy until recently. In the 90s I was mainly listening to whatever my Mom and Dad had on and Radio Disney with my younger sister. Here is a hot take: I am not sure there was a better time for music in history. 

Ellen:
I pretty much strictly listen to 90s music. My dad listened to a ton of 90s alternative in my formative years and my sister (who is 6 years older than me) was super into 90s alternative and pop music.  So basically, 90s alternative is my JAM! Weezer, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Jane’s Addiction, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Cranberries, No Doubt… I mean I have to stop myself. 90s alternative shaped me as a human being… yes it shaped my existence. It was also a pretty big deal in the music world. Legit shit. 90s pop music! Oh my god talk about legit! BSB (Backstreet Boys… duh), Spice Girls (used one of their songs for my bouquet toss… very important), NSYNC, Hanson, TLC, Destiny’s Child, New Kids on The Block, S Club 7, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears (“It’s Britney, Bitch”), J-Lo, Ricky Martin (I had to, I love him)…. Once again, I have to stop myself. So many stars were created in the 90s pop scene. You’ve got Justin Timberlake, BeyoncĂ©, Britney Spears… shit man, that’s a lot. In summary, the 90s music
scene was dope as fuck.

Becca:
Oh the 90’s when music actually made sense! I was always into more of the Pop music, Spice Girls, N*sync, BSB, Britney, Christina! Try to find a 90’s girl that didn’t have a concert in her room once a week singing into their hairbrush! My mom would get me the newest Now That’s What I Call Music every year for my birthday and Christmas and then I would listen to music in my room for the rest of the day. If you look through my phone today 90% of what you find will be 90’s music, the other 10% is Disney songs. 

Shannon:
For Christmas one year, I remember getting a boom box (and feeling like the coolest person ever, thanks Uncle Ben) and then my cousin got me the newest *NSYNC CD. I would play that CD all day every day, only taking a break from JT and the other guys enough to listen to some Aaron Carter, Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website!

The Going Off Topic is moving! The Anything But Credible Network has added the Going Off Topic blog to their network and even gave me my own...