Saturday, December 23, 2017

Reminiscing the 90s! Toys

This week on Going Off Topic we are going back to the greatest decade, the 90s. I reached out to a few friends and family members who grew up during that time to cover a few categories: Music, Movies, TV Shows, Athletes, Toys, Stores, Video Games/Board Games and Crushes from the 90s. I gave them the reins to discuss each topic whether that meant things they remember from each category, things they had or loved, things they didn’t have but wish they did. I enlisted a few returning people but most are making their blogging debut. Each day we will be covering a new category with each person’s opinion on that topic. The fifth category for the Going Off Topic 90s week is Toys so go up in your closet and grab all your Beanie Babies!

Kyle:
I never had a Furby as a kid but a lot of my friends did, it really was a hard time for me. Looking back though those things were creepy as hell. Beanie Babies were awesome and it was a special occasion whenever we got one as kids, they were fairly expensive which is funny to think about. Pokémon cards were great but I actually never even played the card game I just collected them. We had Sock ‘Em Boppers for a short time and I remember going to friends houses that had trampolines and we would box each other, which was probably dangerous but fun nonetheless. I still have my Pogs at my parent’s house and I still don’t know what the point of them was but they were cool to collect. Big Wheel’s were badass, my grandparents had a few of them and my cousins and I would race them around their neighborhood. I hope big wheel’s are still around.

Ellen:
Bop It was so fun! I remember playing that game all the time for like hours at a time. I also had Moon Shoes! They were my sisters and we would jump with those things all the time. I’m amazed I didn’t break a leg or ankle in those things, talk about dangerous! I’ve got a great idea, let’s make these honkin’ plastic platforms bouncy by adding some fucking giant rubber bands to them and then strap them to some kid’s feet! They were so fun though. Sky Dancers, now if you don’t remember these, here’s a little refresher. They were little Barbie Doll like things with wings and they attached to this handle that you pulled a string out of to make them spin and fly in the air. I begged my parents to buy me one and when I say begged I mean I was likely on my knees groveling. They ended up getting me one and I brought it home and took my Sky Dancer outside so she could get some serious air! My first pull of that damn string was cursed. She flew up into the sky and it was glorious but on the way down I realized in horror that her trajectory was taking her over my neighbor’s house. My Sky Dancer fell into my neighbors gutter. I had just begged my parents to get me one so there was not a snowballs chance in hell that I was about to tell them she was currently residing in my neighbor’s gutter. Fuck that noise. I did what any normal and well-adjusted child would do. Yes, I acted like nothing happened and never saw my Sky Dancer again, or so I thought. Flash-forward about 5 years and my dad is being generous and cleaning out our neighbor’s gutters (an elderly person lived there are needed some assistance) and FOUND THE FUCKING THING! We were reunited, she was nasty as fuck, and my dad didn’t even remember her. Moral of the story, kids are weird… or at least I was.

Shannon:
I wasn’t allowed to have Polly Pockets, but I had nearly every Barbie article of clothing imaginable. (Maybe not, she had a lot of clothes.) And when I got the Barbie train and the hotel, it was one of the best Christmases ever! I still have them, for keepsake. I don’t still have by Betty Spaghetti because someone (MOM) got rid of them all! Still mad about that, because she was awesome and I had all the cool ones and even had the Australian one with the green hair and the koala. Betty spaghetti was amazing. 

Becca:
Even though they are still very main stream still today Barbies are thing I remember most about growing up. I had a ton past down from my sisters and I would play with them everyday. Such a simple doll but you could make them anything you wanted to be which I loved. Barbies may have been the toy I remember most but when the Tamagotchi came out I HAD to have one! I never had a pet growing up so it was fun for me to have something to take care of everyday...you know until the next new thing came around, guess now I understand why I was never allowed to have a pet! 











No comments:

Post a Comment

New Website!

The Going Off Topic is moving! The Anything But Credible Network has added the Going Off Topic blog to their network and even gave me my own...